Having a pest infestation can be extremely stressful and uncomfortable, which makes it all the more important to contact a professional to rid your home of unwanted residents. When preparing your home for extermination, there are a few steps you must take to be ready once your exterminator arrives.
If your home is being exterminated, here are a few ways to prepare:
- Remove all linens from mattresses, pillowcases, mattress covers, and clothing. Wash all materials that may have come in contact with pests like bedbugs in hot water.
- After washing your linens store them in jumbo space bags or garbage bags until the extermination is complete.
- Remove all clothing from closets and store in space bags.
- Unplug all electronics. Your exterminator will be doing a thorough sweep of your home, so it is important to make everything easily accessible.
- Move all large objects away from the perimeter of rooms.
- Remove books from bookshelves and store in plastic bags.
Once your extermination is complete it is important to maintain their work. This will help avoid another potential infestation. Here are a few things to help:
Reduce clutter– If you have a lot of items cluttering your home, it can be difficult to know if you have bugs, rodents, or other creatures habituating in your home. To avoid this, cut down on unnecessary clutter.
Vacuum and sweep regularly– Dirt, food, insects, and other items can accumulate in your carpets and on floors which will attract other creatures like cockroaches and mice. By cleaning regularly, you are able to reduce the chance of having a bug infestation.
Use protective coverings– Bugs like to live on the soft surfaces in your home like the mattress, couch, and pillows. Although you may not want to wrap your couch in plastic it is best to use a protective cover for your mattress.
With the use of these tips, you can prepare for and maintain your extermination services. Amherst Exterminators can help eliminate your pest control issues. We will thoroughly inspect your home and then establish a plan specific to your issues. Call us at 716-908-2475 today to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced exterminators.